8.25.2008

Eat Up Your Beets!

Earlier this summer, I decided to try a light detox for my poor liver. I found a recipe for a juice that I was to make and drink every morning first thing when I got up. The juice is called "Beet Juice Express". Beets are a good liver cleanser! Unfortunately, although I do love beets either cooked or raw, this juice was not so lovely.

Here is the recipe:

Beet Juice Express

5 medium carrots, scrubbed well, green tops removed, ends trimmed

1 small or 1/2 large beet, with green top, scrubbed well

1 cucumber, scrubbed, or peeled if not organic

2 stalks celery with leaves, scrubbed well, ends trimmed

1 handful parsley, rinsed well

2-inch piece ginger root, peeled

Bunch up the parsley and push it through the juicer feed tube with the carrots, beet and beet greens, cucumber, celery, and ginger. Stir the juice and pour into a glass. Drink as soon as possible to maximize the nutritional benefits.

Ewwww! Bitter!

Then I found a glorious recipe for a beet juice that is a magenta miracle. It's like drinking Marimekko out of a glass.

I'll call it Marimekko Miracle

2-3 tart apples, washed, sliced, NO seeds (they are poisonous)

I cup frozen raspberries

I small beet or 1/2 large beet, scrubbed, sliced and diced

Juice the apple and beet slices in the juicer. Add juice to the frozen raspberries and add a few ice cubes if you want it slushy.

Ahhhh! Better!

So now I like to drink this in the morning! It's better than a cherry Mister Misty! I swear!

2 comments:

"Ms. Embree" said...

Hey gorgeous! What's Marimekko? Super glad to hear you got the mail. I hate when stuff gets lost. Love to love ya!

Nora said...

Marimekko is that Finnish design company that started out in the sixties. They make beautiful bold prints on fabric. You would know it if you saw it. I'll post some pretty prints!